Welcome to Tips & Tricks #10:
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU JUST CAN’T SLEEP
I haven’t had a good sleep for about four days. It’s partly due to the baby being super awake from 1am-3am and it’s partly because I haven’t been feeling will with a stuffy nose and a sore throat. However, last night it was the worst. The baby was sleeping fine, but my mind was just racing! So there are a couple things I do when I just can’t sleep for no apparent reason.
1. I lie in bed and try to sleep. I have learned over the years to reduce the amount of time I just lie awake trying to sleep. However, I do try to sleep! I honestly don’t remember the times it works, but that could be due to the fact that I fall asleep and don’t register in my mind the next morning that I had trouble falling asleep. Some tricks I have is to try to think of nothing. Just be blank. If that doesn’t suffice, I think of counting sheep (seriously!). If I’m still rolling around after an hour or so, I try to flip my position and sleep with my head at the foot of the bed. This may not be ideal if your husband’s stinky feet are near your face, but desperate times call for desperate measures!
2. I pray. A wise friend of mine once told me that if you’re having trouble falling asleep, maybe God want to talk to you! I chat with Him, share with God my thoughts and then I ask Him to speak to me. Oftentimes, He responds with a peaceful assurance or a beautiful encouragement. Othertimes, He convicts my Spirit, and when that happens, I know it’s time to get up and read the Bible. If you don’t know what to pray about, pray the night prayer from the Daily Office.
3. I read my Bible. What better time to catch up on some missed reading passages than when you can’t sleep? The house is quiet. The setting is perfect to soak in some of God’s words. I often feel very satisfied and able to sleep after reading a couple chapters. If you journal, journal while you read. These moments become very precious to look back on.
4. I get up and eat something. I am the kind of person who’s hungry all the time. So rather than suffer in my bed angry that I can’t sleep, I get up and do something I enjoy–eat! I don’t try to indulge and go crazy, but I think a nice snack like Paleo Cold Cereal or an apple settles my stomach and also my mind. If you’re truly worried about eating extra calories, remember that every moment you’re awake, you’re burning calories. Also, you could just get up and drink a glass of water.
5. I do something fun. Our pre-marital counselor gave us excellent advice as we were gearing up for the marriage of a lifetime. He said that when my husband needs to go into his “man-cave,” which is alone-time, that I should go and do something I enjoy. Instead of being upset over wanting to spend that time with him, I recognize his need to be by himself (how important it is!) and I go out shopping or get a pedicure or watch a fun romantic comedy. Just like when my husband is sound asleep next to me (he never has trouble sleeping), I figure I should get up and do something fun like play a game or watch a show. When that activity is over (don’t do this for more than 45 minutes), being able to go back to bed and sleep is almost a guarantee.
6. I do something productive. Notice this is the last thing I do when I can’t fall asleep. If the whole night of tossing and turning makes you feel frustrated, then getting up to do something productive will make you feel better about not getting any sleep. Sometimes I do the dishes or the laundry. Sometimes I take a shower and get ready for the day, so when I go back to bed I can wake up a little later having already showered, brushed my teeth and gathered my clothes for the morning.
Thanks for reading! What do you do when you can’t sleep?
Previous Tips & Tricks:
- Tips & Tricks #9: HOW TO MAKE EVERY SOCIAL GATHERING FUN
- Tips & Tricks #8: SING HIS PRAISES…LITERALLY
- Tips & Tricks #7: WHAT TO DO WHEN EXPECTING
- Tips & Tricks #6: WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A DIAPER BAG
- Tips & Tricks #5: HOW TO VACATION BY CAR
- Tips & Tricks #4: THE TWELVES DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
- Tips & Tricks #3: MINIMALIST CLOSET
- Tips & Tricks #2: HOW TO FEED YOUR HUSBAND
- Tips & Tricks #1: CONSIDER HOME DECOR